Saturday, November 18, 2006

Mia's 92nd Quilt Square: Dayton, Ohio

This is from my mom. Since I'm adopting Mia as a single woman, she'll have no paternal side of her family. So Lao Lao Jazmyn will be the only grandmother she has. But she will have a wonderful set of surrogate grandparents in Chris and Paul Perkins who are my best friend Lisa's mom and dad. "Lao Lao" is the Chinese word for maternal grandmother. My mom has taken to calling herself that. Not sure if that's what Mia will call her or if she'll just stick to "grandma". Anyway, Lao Lao Jazmyn included a really cool fabric that represents the Chinese calendar. Each year in the Chinese calendar is associated with an animal. 2006 is the Year of the Dog.

Her card reads "Krista, the first time you see Mia's face you will know what this means. I felt it the first time I looked at you." Below that is a quote from Elizabeth Stone which says "Making the decision to have a child- it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body." She included another quote from Rachel Carson that reads "If a child is to keep his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in."
Her wish "My wishes for my granddaughter Mia are: A lifetime of health and happiness, peace and prosperity, love and laughter, cuddles and cookies! From Lao Lao Jazmyn"

I love it. Thanks Mom! I mean.... Lao Lao Jazmyn.

No comments: